EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The 45th edition of the signature event at harness racing’s top venue is upon us as the $700,000 (est.) Meadowlands Pace, an open event for 3-year-olds, gets underway this Saturday (July 10) with a pair of $50,000 eliminations (see fields below).
The Pace Final, which is slated for July 17, serves as the centerpiece for “The Greatest Night in Harness Racing”. With COVID-19 protocols now in the rearview mirror (although unvaccinated patrons must wear a mask), fans will undoubtedly pack the house, but for those who cannot make it out to the track, there will be a live two-hour telecast on Fox Sports 2, that not only will feature The Pace, but three other major stakes as well.
The Big M’s TV team of Dave Brower and Dave Little will be at the desk spearheading the broadcast with Jessica Otten handling back paddock and training center interviews with some of the primary contenders. The voice of The Meadowlands, track announcer Ken Warkentin, will call his fifth Pace, while Gabe Prewitt, veteran race caller at Pompano Park and Lexington’s Red Mile and director of racing at Caesars Entertainment, will join the team and handle winner’s circle interviews.
“All of us at The Meadowlands are excited to team up with the New York Racing Association’s TV division, so that we can bring The Meadowlands Pace to an audience who might not otherwise see the race,” said track Chief Operating Officer and General Manager Jason Settlemoir. “We are very fortunate to be able to televise live harness stakes events and hope the future sees more of these races being made available to a country-wide audience.”
Post time on Meadowlands Pace Night will be earlier than usual as the first race will get underway at 6 p.m. The live presentation of The Meadowlands Pace kicks off on Fox Sports 2 at 8 p.m.
HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR STAKES?
Also on the menu on Meadowlands Pace Final Night will be the:
$200,000* Mistletoe Shalee
$285,000* Stanley Dancer
$250,000* Del Miller
$450,000* William Haughton Memorial
$175,000* Dorothy Haughton
$400,000* Hambletonian Maturity
$40,000* Miss Versatility
(* – estimated purse)
MEADOWLANDS PACE ELIMINATIONS DRAW:
These are the fields for the two Meadowlands Pace Eliminations that take place Saturday, July 10 at The Meadowlands, with post position, horse (driver, trainer) and morning-line odds. The first five in the official order of finish from each dash will return for the $700,000 (est.) Meadowlands Pace Final, which will be contested on Saturday, July 17.
FIRST ELIMINATION (RACE 6) – PURSE $50,000
1. Chase H Hanover (Brian Sears, Scott Cox), 12-1
2. Charlie May (Brett Miller, Steve Carter), 3-1
3. One Eight Hundred (Tim Tetrick, Nancy Takter), 9-5
4. Heart Of Chewbacca (George Brennan, Ron Burke), 4-1
5. Rockyroad Hanover (Dexter Dunn, Tony Alagna), 5-1
6. Exploit (Todd McCarthy, Tony Alagna), 8-1
7. Hellabalou (Andrew McCarthy, Eddie Dennis), 15-1
SECOND ELIMINATION (RACE 8) – PURSE $50,000
1. American Courage (Matt Kakaley, Travis Alexander), 3-1
2. Abuckabett Hanover (Andrew McCarthy, Tony Alagna), 4-1
3. Lawless Shadow (Mark MacDonald, Ian Moore), 6-1
4. Red Right Hand (Todd McCarthy, Nancy Takter), 15-1
5. Perfect Sting (David Miller, Joe Holloway), 2-1
6. Simon Says Hanover (Scott Zeron, Tony Alagna), 15-1
7. Southwind Gendry (Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke), 7-2